Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Senator Salazar: Walking eagle

I had never heard the term "walking eagle" until the other day in class. What a clever term for those who are full of it. One such person is Senator Salazar who replied to my letters criticizing him for his support of the filibuster impeding a vote on judicial nominations. Here is his response:

Dear Tateum:

Thank you for contacting me regarding judicial nominations and recent calls by Senate Republican Leader Bill first to alter the use of the filibuster.

With regard to judicial nominations, I take the Senate's constitutional responsibility to provide advice and consent on judicial nominations very seriously and am committed to processing the President's nominees in a fair and judicious manner. This process should be collaborative, as it has been in the past. Federal judges are lifetime appointments, and our judicial system and the American people deserve to have judges that will be fair and competent. To that end, I want to assure you that I will thoroughly review the qualifications of all nominees that come before the Senate.

At the same time, I hold the standing rules and set of precedents governing the Senate in the highest regard. These rules protect the rights of the constituents of any Senator to voice their objections to matters that come before the Senate. I will exercise that right if I believe a bill or nomination is not in the best interest of Colorado and needs further discussion.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this matter.

Sincerely,
Ken Salazar United States Senator

This sounds like a bunch of $#@! to me. What do you think?

No comments: