Thursday, May 05, 2005

Texas House to cheerleaders: Don't shake it!

reported on cnn.com this morning (click here for article) in yet another sign of how important football is to Texas, the state's House of Representatives approved a bill to outlaw sexy cheers and punish schools that allow them. Texas legislators would rather spend their time putting together ambiguous legislation about "sexually suggestive cheering" than spend time on important issues, like, I don't know - firing teachers and principals in Houston for cheating on the state's standardized tests?

How does one define "sexually suggestive?" Representative Al Edwards states that he doesn't have to define it - "but I'll know it when I see it" - partially quoting Supreme Court Associate Justice Potter Stewart's famous quote about obscenity.

My question - is there a job opening for monitoring the cheering? If so, I think I have found a new career path. ;o)

No comments: