Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Freedom’s Friend

I heard on the radio this morning that today was President Reagan's birthday. I've been taking a few minutes this afternoon to read a few of President Reagan's speeches, and I ran across a short essay by Milton Friedman in which he explains the following observation:
Few people in human history have contributed more to the achievement of human freedom than Ronald Wilson Reagan.
I think it is well worth it to read Friedman's short essay.

One of the things I noted in looking at just a few of President Reagan's speeches is that he often talked about freedom and liberty. It seems to me these days that very few of our political leaders speak of freedom and liberty, and except for a brief reference by Mitt Romney in his speech last night, the people with much of a chance to be the next President have pretty much neglected individual liberty in their campaigns and in their views of government.

No comments: