Friday, May 04, 2012

North or South, What's The Difference?


I took this image from Google Earth.  I think it is interesting because of the contrast between the "north" half of the picture and the "south" half of the picture.  The upper portion of the picture seems to me to depict a standard of living that is much greater than the standard of living in the lower portion of the picture.

Can you guess where this is?  Can you guess what explains the difference between the upper and the lower portions of the picture?

I hope you won't cheat and check out the following links before trying to answer these questions.  Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson can help you understand the difference.  So can Mancur Olson.

Or (shameless plug), if you live close to Colorado Springs you can take my course next Fall Semester to learn the answer.

No comments: